Regent University School of Udnergraduate Studies

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Faith, Science, and Educational Resources (A shorter post during a busy day)

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

Faith and Science: Being a psychology major may seem in contrast to believing in Christ, but it is not. The Lord made everything and provides everything. In learning about the world around us and our selves, we have the opportunity to witness the infinite detail of His work and to share it with others. However, I couldn’t imagine getting this degree anywhere else because I need to be reminded, at every step, that everything is His doing, not ours (or mine). The perception of what knowledge is and its contents can become intoxicating and misleading without the Lord to guide us.

Regent gives me the education I want along with supporting my faith. I just can’t stress enough how important this can be. We recently had the opportunity to listen to Philip Clayton, Ingraham Professor at Claremont School of Theology and Professor of Philosophy and Religion at the Claremont Graduate University, and visiting professor Harvard Divinity School. He gave a one hour lecture at Regent University (streamed live to those of us off campus) entitled, "Beyond the Battlelines: Why Christians Need to Engage with Science and How We Can Do It Successfully" during part two of the Forum for Science, Technology, and Renewal. It was very interesting. Thank you, Regent and Professor Clayton.

Free Online Educational Resources: Speaking of live streaming and web lectures....There are two really good resources I would like to recommend to anyone interested in free online learning: Berkeley has free webcasts at http://webcast.berkeley.edu/index.php and MIT has free open course ware at http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/index.htm. (I used the Berkeley webcasts last year to go through their nutrition course. The textbook only cost a few dollars from Amazon.)

Well, it is time to continue working on the research.

In Christ, Tammy

No comments:

The publisher/owner of this website, Tammy Simpson, is solely responsible for decisions regarding site content. The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Regent University and Regent University assumes no liability for any material appearing herein.